Travel Funding Applications
Guidelines for scholarship holders:
- Travel budget of up to 500€ annually will be reimbursed by GEAS
- Travel funding is available if you are accepted for giving a paper at a conference or summer school.
- Please apply IN ADVANCE by email at the coordinator’s office, forwarding the acceptance letter/mail.
- Travel budgets higher than the annual amount need to be accepted by the executive board.
- Please try to always book or search for the lowest fares possible; you are spending taxpayers' money.
Travel by train:
Reimbursement for travel (2nd class) from home to the location of the conference/school will be reimbursed.
Travel by air:
Please state reasons for inner-European flights as well as regional flights. These expenses should not amount to more than a normal train fare. Airfare for overseas flights (more than 8 hours) can be reimbursed in full.
Travelling with YOUR OWN car can be reimbursed of up to 130 €, depending on the distance reimbursement of BRKG.
Travel within Berlin, taxi, insurances, credit card fees, extra luggage.
If the travel expenses do not exceed the budget, lodging expenses can be reimbursed for:
- Hotel/Hostel/AirBNB, etc. during conferences.
- Hotel/Hostel/AirBNB, etc. before or after conferences, but only if there is no other way to arrive at or leave the conference on the same day (state reasons!).
What you need for reimbursement:
- Form for application of reimbursement (you can only access this form via INTRANET (log on to your Zedat/VPN): Antrag auf Auslagenerstatung)
- Program (full program) of event (pdf)
- Invoice (Original)
- Bill/Receipt (original)
- Itinerary and boarding cards/tickets. (original or printouts with scan code).
- If paid with credit or debit card: bank statement of transfer
- If the fare is paid in another currency, please use OANDA for the exchange rate on the day you have paid, add it to the documents.
- Make a list of receipts if there are more than 3 on either the sheet of reimbursement or a separate sheet.
- Tape your receipts/boarding cards on one or more sheet(s) of Din A4 paper, indicating name and date of travel.
- If another person has paid for your travel (parents, cohabitant partners) or you have shared a hotel with another doctoral student, please make sure that both parties fill out a statement (both persons involved) that the debt will be paid and not used for another reimbursement. If you share a hotel room with another student who also wants to get reimbursed, make sure each of you receive a bill which indicates your name.
- If you decide to travel from another city than Berlin or return from another city than the location of your conference/school, please state reasons in advance. Fees for travel should not be considerably higher than the fees for the travel itinerary you applied for. If they are or if you do not indicate specific reasons, and you are deciding on travelling somewhere else before or after the conference, only the expenses for and at the conference location will be covered.
- Refer to the BRKG (German Federal Travel Expense Act) for more info.