Step ONE: How to apply for travel budget and approval

GEAS students may apply for travel budget with a short email sent to the coordinator.

Please include the following details:

    1. Invitation (to conference), confirmation (of participance) and conference program/link to website
    2. Travel plan including dates of travel and potential costs of transport/accommodation

If the budget is approved by GEAS coordinator, you will need to apply formally for travel approval at the university at least 6 weeks in advance.

The travel needs to be approved by two people:

1. the person responsible for the budget and 2. the head of the respective department or the central travel department. 

For approval, please download the form "Antrag auf Genehmigung einer Dienstreise", fill out page 1 as well as include your GEAS address on page 2:

Please be advised to

1. fill out the form online (not with a pen)

2. print out the form and sign it. Unsigned forms or forms sent by email will be ignored and sent back immediately. 

3. submit the form including the invitation and the conference program to the office of the person responsible for the budget.

For GEAS, the person responsible for the budget is the GEAS Director. Apply at GEAS Office. For DAAD, the person responsible for the budget is your supervisor. Apply at their respective office/institute. For travels approved by CIC or central funding, they will usually let you know where to apply for travel approval.

This is a short walkthrough.

Page 1:

1. Personal details

  • If you receive a salary, please tick application for approval of business trip or training/course.
  • If you receive a stipend, please tick "no-employee" (Externe) and choose employed as "Stipendiat/In". 
  • Fill out the entire place of employment with name and address. Also give your home address and phone no if you are not employed at GEAS.

2. Travel details

  • Note that the travel details may differ from the details you need to fill in the section "Work at business location". You have to fill out both details. "Work at business location" is the start date/time and end date/time of the conference/event.
  • You are allowed by the Federal Travel Expense Act to combine your stay with a private stay of 5 work days (weekends not included). These have to be indicated in the "private stay" field.
  • Please specify the "reason for traveling" with the reason (paper presentation/panel organization) and the name of the event/conference or summer school.

3. Means of transportation

Please use the cheapest means possible (train, bus, shared car), but also help save the environment. You are of course allowed to use an airplane if you are travelling within Europe or abroad. You will always need to state a reason for plane use: "significantly cheaper than the train/bus", "no other means available (overseas tavel)", or, if you cannot get to the location in time, (i.e. "more than 7 hours travel time").

4.Travel expenses

  • Please tick the field "travel costs are partially waived for daily allowance". As non-employees, it is not possible to apply for daily allowances.
  • Please also tick the field "accommodation" if you are only applying for reimbursement of a flight ticket.
  • Please also indicate the potential costs in the field below.

5. Teaching

Please tick either one - in case you have teaching obligations, you have to inform the head of department in advance.

Below part left:

Please fill out this part, and do not forget to sign the sheet after printing it out. 

Below part right:

This part will be filled out by GEAS or the person responsible for funding, as well as the head of department. 

Page 2:

Please do not forget to fill in your name and GEAS address (not your home address). 

The rest of the sheet will be filled out by the head of department. 

The respective department will fill out the rest of page 2 of your application form and send it back to your address here at GEAS. If you have filled out page 1 correctly, your travel will be approved. You will find it in your mailbox in the post room. Keep the approval for later reimbursement.

If approved, you can go on and travel.

Please keep all invoices, boarding cards, train tickets, bills. Please ask for receipts if necessary.

It is possible to apply for an advance payment of your travels of up to 80% before travelling.

We recommend to apply any time for advance payment if your travel exceeds EUR 200.

The application is in German only . Please submit the form with a copy of your travel approval to the GEAS office.