Step ONE: How to apply for travel budget and approval
GEAS students may apply for travel budget with a short email sent to the coordinator.
- Invitation (to conference), confirmation (of participance) and conference program/link to website
- Travel plan including dates of travel and potential costs of transport/accommodation
If the budget is approved by GEAS coordinator, you will need to apply formally for travel approval at the university at least 6 weeks in advance.
The travel needs to be approved by two people:
1. the person responsible for the budget (*see below) and 2. the head of the respective department or the central travel department.
For approval, please download the form "Antrag auf Genehmigung einer Dienstreise", fill out page 1 as well as include your GEAS address on page 2: https://www.fu-berlin.de/sites/abt-1/formulare/05dienstreisen/index.html
Please be advised to
1. fill out the form online (not with a pen)
2. print out the form and sign it. Unsigned forms or forms sent by email will be ignored and sent back immediately.
3. submit the form including the invitation and the conference program to the office of the person responsible for the budget.For GEAS, the person responsible for the budget is the GEAS Director. Apply at GEAS Office. For DAAD subsidies, the person responsible for the budget is your supervisor. Apply at their respective office/institute. For travels approved by CIC or Erasmus+, etc, the head of the respective office at the International Office will ask you to return the sheets to them.
This is a short walkthrough.
1. Personal details
- If you receive a salary, please tick application for approval of business trip or training/course.
- If you receive a stipend, please tick "no-employee" (Externe) and choose employed as "Stipendiat/In".
- Fill out the entire place of employment with name and address. Also give your home address and phone no if you are not employed at GEAS.
2. Travel details
- Note that the travel details may differ from the details you need to fill in the section "Work at business location". You have to fill out both details. "Work at business location" is the start date/time and end date/time of the conference/event.
- You are allowed by the Federal Travel Expense Act to combine your stay with a private stay of 5 work days (weekends not included). These have to be indicated in the "private stay" field.
- Please specify the "reason for traveling" with the reason (paper presentation/panel organization) and the name of the event/conference or summer school.
3. Means of transportation
Please use the cheapest means possible (train, bus, shared car), but also help save the environment. You are of course allowed to use an airplane if you are travelling within Europe or abroad, but please note that FU has declared a climate emergency, and essential travels within 1000km should be conducted by other means, if possible. You will always need to state a reason for plane use: "significantly cheaper than the train/bus", "no other means available (overseas tavel)".
- For fieldwork flights, please tick the field "travel costs are partially waived" for X "daily allowance". As non-employees at GEAS, daily allowances usually cannot be granted (i.e. food and drink during the travel). You can also tick the field in case you want to save the money for another travel.
- Please also tick the field "travel costs are partially waived" for X "accommodation" or X "travel" if you are not applying for the reimbursement of either position (i. e. for fiedlwork because the university can only cover the flight expenses, or you want us to cover another travel with the rest of the funding). Caution: If the conference or workshop organizer provides for your accommodation or travel, do not tick the waiver of respective travel or accommodation costs.
- Please also indicate the potential costs in the last field below.
Please tick the left box. Or the right box in case you have teaching obligations.
Below part left:
Please fill out this part, and do not forget to sign the sheet after printing it out. Digital signatures are only accepted in emergency cases.
Below part right:
This part will be filled out by GEAS or the person responsible for funding, as well as the head of department.
Please do not forget to fill in your name and GEAS (office) address (not your home address).
The rest of the sheet will be filled out by the head of department.
The respective department (in most cases the Department of History and Cultural Studies) will fill out the rest of page 2 of your application form and send it back to your address here at GEAS. If you have filled out page 1 correctly, your travel will be approved. You will find it in your mailbox in the post room. Keep the approval for later reimbursement.
If approved, you can go on and travel in theform you have applied for.
Please keep all invoices, boarding cards, train tickets, bills (except for food and drinks). Please ask for receipts if necessary.
It is possible to apply for an advance payment of your travel expenses of up to 80% before travelling. This includes travel expenses and conference fees and other expenses. Accommodation cannot be included in the prepayment.
We recommend to apply any time for advance payment if your travel exceeds EUR 200 (!)
The application is in German only . Please submit the form with a copy of your travel approval to the GEAS office.
If you receive a salary and are an employee, your travel is covered by the university accident insurance.
This is not the case for other insurances, in particular travel and health insurances.
When travelling within the European Union, your EU insurance card is not enough to prove your social security if an accident occurs. For travels to Europe, and all other EEA countries and Switzerland, Freie Universität Berlin employees who are conducting business travel must apply and carry with them the A1 certificate (the official German name is “Bescheinigung über die anzuwendenden Rechtsvorschriften – A1”), regardless of how long the business trip lasts.
This means that immediately after your travel is approved, please request the A1 certificate at the Personnel Division. Download the A1 info sheet or ask our office for more info.