At GEAS, a mobility phase of months should be mandatory for students to conduct field research. Some research foundations and associations allso allow their students to travel to Asia.
Mobility Funding (long-term):
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD): Fellowships for doctoral candidates (1 year, Jahres und Kurzzeitstipendien für Doktoranden). DAAD offers doctoral students a monthly fellowship to conduct research from 6-12 months in any Northeast Asian country.
- German Institute for Japanese Studies (DIJ Tokyo): Research fellowships, 3-12 months in Japan.
- Japan Foundation: Japanese Studies Research Fellowships, up to 12 months in Japan
- JSPS Fellowships (for PhD and postdoctoral candidates). JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships (short-term) provide support for doctoral candidates and post-doctoral researchers to spend 1 to 12 months working on research in Japan. For sponsorship periods exceeding six months, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation preselects post-doctoral candidates on behalf of JSPS. Pre-selection of candidates applying for shorter periods and those who have not taken their doctorates is conducted by the DAAD. Up to 20 JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowships are granted annually.
- MOST Taiwan fellowships (postdoctoral candidates): research stay (3−12 months) in Taiwan. Preselection by Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
- Korea Foundation: Field Research Fellowship for codtoral students in Korea.
- CCKF: Grants for short-term research for doctoral candidates in Taiwan.
- Dahlem Research School FUBright research stays
Short-term mobility funding