For accepted students and researchers
- Do I need to apply for a study or research visa?
- What documents should I bring?
- How do I apply for admission to the department?
- Where can I get travel / health insurance?
- Do I need to take a German course?
- How do I find accommodation?
The Dahlem Research School has put together a comprehensive pre-arrival checklist to help you (and your family) answer these questions and to prepare you for your move to Germany. We also encourage you to review their arrival guide which will help you to successfully navigate your first steps in Berlin.
After you have received your preliminary letter of acceptance from the GEAS, you will need to apply to the Dean of department at the relevant PhD Office (Promotionsbüro) at Freie Universität. A list of all the PhD offices can be found here.
Once your application has been accepted by your PhD office, you can enroll as a doctoral student with the university’s central administration office (Immatrikulationsbüro). Click here for more detailed information on the enrolment process.
Please contact us if you have any questions or need further assistance.