Springe direkt zu Inhalt

For accepted students and researchers

  • Do I need to apply for a study or research visa?
  • What documents should I bring?
  • How do I apply for admission to the department?
  • Where can I get travel / health insurance?
  • Do I need to take a German course?
  • How do I find accommodation?

The Dahlem Research School has put together a comprehensive pre-arrival checklist to help you (and your family) answer these questions and to prepare you for your move to Germany. We also encourage you to review their arrival guide which will help you to successfully navigate your first steps in Berlin.

After you have received your preliminary letter of acceptance from the GEAS, you will need to apply to the Dean of department at the relevant PhD Office (Promotionsbüro) at Freie Universität.To conclude the admission process, please have your orginal documents or certified copies at hand.

You cannot start your research project until you have been accepted by the department ("Zulassung").The application is made to the respective department’s Dean and PhD office. Candidates can find the application form and a list of required documents on the website of the respective graduation office.

A committee decides whether your qualifications suffice for admission as a doctoral candidate. The department’s committee usually meets at regular intervals.

It is easier to apply for a visa after the admission (Zulassung) is granted.

Once your application has been accepted by your PhD office, you can enroll as a doctoral student with the university’s central administration office (Immatrikulationsbüro). Click here for more detailed information on the enrollment process.

To enroll, please send copies or have your originals at hand to present them to the corresponding offices.

Please contact us if you have any questions or need further assistance.