IIAS fellowships at Leiden
IIAS invites outstanding scholars to apply for a fellowship at IIAS. Applicants may also apply for an extra two months of research at the Collège d’études mondiales of the Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (CEM-FMSH) in Paris, in the framework of an additional combined IIAS/CEM-FMSH fellowship. https://iias.asia/page/iias-fellowship-application
The position of affiliated fellow is intended for outstanding researchers (also see 'Terms and conditions') from around the world, to work on an important aspect of Asian studies research in the social sciences and humanities. Interdisciplinary interests are encouraged. We also welcome researchers who would like to work on a collaborative grant proposal or develop their PhD thesis into a book publication.
IIAS is an institute that actively promotes innovative research and seeks the interconnection between academic disciplines. In doing so, we are particularly looking for researchers focusing on the three IIAS clusters 'Asian Cities', 'Asian Heritages' and 'Global Asia'. However some positions will be reserved for outstanding projects in any area outside of those listed. Applications that link to more than one field are also welcome.
On the application form, you will be asked to indicate to which cluster your proposed research relates, or to choose the "open category". You are also asked to indicate how your proposed research may contribute to the general vision of IIAS and its emphasis on interconnected studies.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants must have fulfilled all requirements of the PhD. If you are a PhD candidate at the time of application, you may also apply, provided that you graduate within 5 months after the application deadline (see below). A letter from your university will be required to confirm your graduation before this date.
- If you are applying for a grant from IIAS to cover your research period in the Netherlands, the fellowship will be tenable for a maximum period of 10 months.
- Support for research (office facilities, library access, networks, etc.) will be provided.
- Affiliated fellows are expected to participate in IIAS events, including the fellow seminars, monthly lunch lectures, and drinks.
If IIAS decides to sponsor your research by awarding a grant, you will receive:
- A monthly grant of €2000;
- Office facilities and access to the Leiden University Libraries;
- A one-time grant of (max) €1000 towards the costs of (international) travel.
Extend your IIAS fellowship with an additional two months of research at the Collège d’études mondiales of the Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (CEM-FMSH) in Paris, France
Anyone applying for a IIAS fellowship can simultaneously apply for two extra months of research in Paris. If you are interested in this option, you should indicate this on the IIAS Application form.
1 March and 1 October of each year