Funding in Germany
DAAD Funding (other than GSSP)
International candidates may also apply at DAAD for a general fellowship to do their PhD in Germany, should this exist for their country. Attention: deadlines for applying for DAAD fellowships are often a year prior to the start of the programme.
If you like to apply for this fellowship, please contact the coordinator of the GEAS program before the end of summer.
KAAD (Catholic Academic Exchange Service)
There are 3 programmes for international candidates at KAAD: scholarship 1 is addressed to post-graduates and to academics living in their home countries who already gained professional experience and who are interested in postgraduate studies (or research stays) in Germany, for a MA, PhD or postdoc.
In Scholarship Program 2 KAAD sponsors advanced foreign students from developing countries who are already enrolled in a German university. Scholarship candidates must be proposed by the corresponding Campus Ministry.
The Eastern-Europe-Program – also administered by regional partner committees – focuses mainly on shorter study or research stays in Germany. Normally we expect that applicants reside in their home countries at the time of applying to KAAD through the regional partner committee.
Berlin Funding for graduates
- GRAFÖG (DAAD grants in addition to Nafög/Elsa-Neumann)
- Berlin Parliament fellowships for students, junior and senior researchers from France, United Kingdom, USA, Russia or other post-Soviet states
There are several foundations in Germany who offer funding for PhD students in Germany. Some foundations are close to political parties, trade unions, or business, others believe in religious and social qualities. There is a website which collects all links to the "Werke" (foundations) at
Foundations for specific subjects
- Gerda-Henkel-Stiftung (History)
- Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (German Federal Environmental Foundation, environmental protection)
- FAZIT Stiftung (journalism and social politics)
Special funding for
- single mothers: Christiane-Nüsslein-Volhard-Stiftung
- students with cancer: Stiftung für junge Erwachsene mit Krebs
- students in need: Ferdinand und Charlotte Schimmelpfennig-Stiftung
- Daka student loan for students at Berlin universites
Research Institutes (mostly PostDoc)
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (FhG)
Helmholtz Association (HGF)